Saturday 4 June 2011

Exercise: Histograms

As part of this exercise I was asked to find three types of pictures, that of low contrast, average contrast and high contrast. As I took each image I had to bracket the shots to give images that were one stop under exposure, the correct exposure and one stop over exposed. I had to remember that my camera, the Nikon D5000, when asked to bracket some pictures, gives the correct exposure first then the under exposed then the over exposed images.

Once I had taken the pictures I had to put them into Photoshop and display the histograms, through the Levels pallette to show how different the profiles of each type of image was. Here's my images below:

Low contrast:


Average contrast:

High contrast:



I've always been a bit confused about what histograms show but having to read up about them, in the Martin Evening 'Adobe Photoshop CS4 for Photographers, it has made what they show a lot clearer. I put each of the three images into a new image and did a screenshot of each histogram showing the detail so that I could compare them.

No comments:

Post a Comment